Session Work FAQ
For live gigs, sub work or availability please email me directly at – info @ rodneygene .com – For STUDIO Work: I am hired for local or remote session work consistently. It is something I really enjoy and it keeps me busy. I have a well equipped studio for sessions and an easy effective process for it.
How much does a session(s) cost?
99% of my work is word of mouth or referrals. That said, all cost is determined session by session but I am consistently reasonable as the process is much quicker, effective and easy to manage nowadays. There is no completely accurate estimate that would be appropriate for all sessions or projects but all aspects are discussed in advance before we begin. Send an email! If I am interested in the project, some factors that generally affect price are:
- How many guitar or bass tracks the song or producer require?
- How quickly do you need the tracks completed?
- Difficulty, Length or Complexity of the song(s)
- Independent budget (very blurry line nowadays). Level of musicianship and production.
Is this a demo, lower budget album or a master quality session?
- In rare cases the session work request might be denied due to low standard of performance on the reference tracks sent. In these cases, I consult with client and we might agree to resend the tracks to me at a later date after the track has been re-done.
What do you need from me/us before you can record the tracks?
- Reference track(s) for each song (This can be a rough mix or individual tracks)
- Basic chart for each song. This is not required, but it speeds up the process and keeps the cost down.
- Detailed (best of your ability) explanation of what type(s) of part(s) you would like for each song. This includes the number of electric, acoustic, bass tracks etc..
- Recording Format details: Bit rate, Sample rate, length etc. the producer needs.
How quickly can you complete the track(s)?
That is dependent on my current workload, travel schedule or availability when the session is requested. When you contact me, we can discuss the details of your timeline and agree upon a schedule, start and finish date. I generally work efficiently and quickly one day to five days for the first submission once a start date is agreed upon.
How will I receive the tracks (deliverables)?
I will provide correct (bit/sample) high quality guitar tracks via download link dropbox, my own server or your FTP client if you choose. MP3 or low bit tracks are often provided for reference during the evaluations. All finished high-quality .wavs are delivered after final payment.
What if I want changes to the track(s)?
No worries – session rate includes 2 rounds of revisions (based on clear feedback) – so you can be assured that you’ll get the tracks you want. Despite revisions, most clients are pleased with the first delivery of tracks as I am conscientious and focused on the project intention. We can’t read minds, but enough experience informs many decisions about what serves the client based on initial dialogue. Any work requested after 2 revisions will be billed at $40 per track per song.
What type of gear do you use?
Always appropriate for the project at hand. From string choice (flats, tape, 1/2 wounds, nickel, stainless) to pickup style (Jazz Style, P-Bass Style, Soapbar, Music Man etc)…I love to get as detailed as possible! High-end vintage and modern gear.
RME, Dangerous Music, Manley, Universal Audio, Demeter, Yamaha, Great River, Emperical Labs, Midas, Lexicon, Eventide, Avalon, Vintage TC Electronic, Focal and Dynaudio monitoring etc.. Modern and Vintage basses and guitars, tube amplifiers, tube direct, solid state direct analog or digital modeling. Custom effects…
Thank you for reading this! If I can help you in any way, feel free to reach out!